The View From 1776

The Cult of Modern Liberalism

Bob Webster, who runs the WEBCommentary.com website, wrote an excellent summation of the liberal mindset.  His article can be found here.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 06/26 at 06:32 PM
  1. "In contrast, modern liberals fear open discussion of ideas."

Funny, that sound a lot like conservative thinking. If conservatives had their way there would be no political debate. Political debate is intended for changing things. Conservative don't like change.

It is extraordinary how conservatives employ and twist liberal ideas to attack them. My sense is that it is all about the fact that conservatives are always going to play second fiddle. That is why the vicious attacks on liberal thinking.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/26  at  10:33 PM
  2. David,

You know perfectly well conservatives are about conserving what works, not about stifling all change. You don't build a better house by constantly rearranging all the parts. You keep what's solid, repair what's broken, add only what's needed and works, and give the rest a good coat of paint to keep it from corroding.

As to stifling all debate, has anyone here suggested you are unwelcome? I doubt it, and I know I've extended you more than one olive branch. I'm not saying all has been cordial, but neither has it been "gang up on David". You have engaged in some conversation-silencing remarks of your own, and are in no position to make that particular critique.

Your remark "Liberals are not preventing open discussion as conservatives imagine. There is certainly plenty of it here." has me scratching my head. Last I checked, this was still a conservative site, and it
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/27  at  10:55 PM
  3. (cont.)

I've been to social gatherings in which I've taken the mildest of conservative positions only to be howled down by every liberal in the room (in concert), including my own wife. I have also been called horrible names and told in no uncertain terms my remarks are unwelcome. In the reverse situation, I find conservatives tend to let one speak for many, and, where they jump in, it is to correct each other. This comes from being the underdog for a very long time. Conservatives have been holding our tongues for so long we're still hesitant to speak until we know the ground.

Pretend being a moderate-conservative for, say, two weeks. Argue positions you've heard here to whatever extent you can stomach. You will soon see what we are saying is true. It does not mean conservatives are incapable of the same behaviors. We are. But, liberals still hold most of those marbles and are long habituated to defining the debate.

It is true a great many liberals fear debate. There are two reasons for that. First is they are unaccustomed to having their values not only disputed, but successfully disputed. It is very alarming finding that all the time you thought you were the "guys in white", more than half the country regards you somewhat contemptuously. That has put liberalism on the defense in an attempt to salvage something of lost dignity. Second, because liberalism no longer has a limited set of achievable objectives, it is floundering. In its attempts to retain relevance, it has latched onto every passing radical "inequity" and "outrage" with which to define itself. Because of this, it is saddled with a mismatched set of objectives, many at odds with each other. This does incredible damage to liberal credibility. Because these objectives are often vague, contrary to nature, irrelevant to what is now important, and unsound, every argument you make comes out a shrill denunciation. If instead of defending the indefensible, liberals regrouped around only those things with a chance of success, you'd have something better to offer and regain some initiative. The catch: you'd sound an awful lot like conservatives.

Our intent is not to beat up liberals, it is to educate you out of your excessive fondness for an ideology that has caused enormous suffering (and still does) and which has been proven unworkable other than as a means to despotism.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/27  at  11:00 PM
  4. Bob,

I am just here to see how the other half thinks and some of it is pretty warped. And I accept that. People are people.

It sounds to me that you don't don't like liberals on this site, that it is just supposed to be a debate among conservatives and preaching to the choir.

The fact is that the world is better off with liberal thinking. That is not to say conservatives don't have a role to play. They temper liberals and conserve the best of liberal achievements. There must be a reason why liberal ideas prevail. Not because they are perfect but because they are more just and balanced.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/28  at  08:55 AM
  5. David,

The measure of tolerance is not in preaching it, it is in practicing it. You say you are here to "see how the other half thinks". Great! However, are you here also to listen, or only to affirm every hysterical accusation made against us? From the comments above and elsewhere, I have to surmise you came loaded for bear ... not exchange. Of course, you always allow as conservatives have a minor role to play, but it is clear that is meant as a sop to keep us off guard. You may even think it fair-minded and generous, when, in fact, it
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/28  at  09:49 PM
  6. P.S.

The liberal ideas you refer to that have prevailed are not the same as modern-liberals espouse. Here, again, you are blurring the distinctions between classic and modern.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/28  at  10:01 PM
  7. "You have twisted everything I
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/29  at  09:08 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.