The View From 1776

Socialism Corrupts Human Nature

The welfare-state brings out the worst in people, making society into a selfish, every-man-for-himself scramble to get “entitlements.”  As government intervention depresses incomes toward equality, economic production declines, and people become equally poor.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/27 at 12:08 PM
  1. I would like to comment on this article but I am exhausted from all the distorted fascism and socialism talk.

I was wondering, are there any compassionate fascists like there are compassionate conservatives?
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/27  at  01:33 PM
  2. When people distort the definition of words for their own agenda they harm the American people. In my day we wouldn't have dreamed of such horrors as fascism, and their enduring apologists after history has proven the failure of fascism and it's rhetoric against open society and it's distortions.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/27  at  01:47 PM
  3. Quote -"One is the classical economic understanding described by Adam Smith in his 1776
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/27  at  04:05 PM
  4. Mr. Brewton thinks that the U.S. is going the same way socialistically as France and Germany. The way he goes one about the New Deal being the socialistic menace that he envisions, America should have reached the socialism that stifles France and Germany long ago.

The reason the U.S. will not become like France or Germany is because it has a built in reform system, like an 'invisible hand', that is constantly renewing it. France and Germany are traditional nations, far more than the U.S. is, so find it very difficult to reform their labor and business practices as well as their social and political ones. America is constantly changing and reforming itself.

For a nation to be able to reform itself it has to be and remain flexible and nimble. To be and remain so a nation has to dwell in a liberal mindset. Ironically this blog would like to deny America that liberalism which has renewed it so often, in favor of moving it back to a darker age of traditionalism and conservatism which would lead to stagnation like in France and Germany.

The New Deal was a reform that America much needed. It didn't bear fruit immediately as Mr Brewton pointed out but it did lay the ground work for a much better America later on. It was a reform package that still keeps giving. It enfranchised people through redistribution and social activism, something this blog doesn't believe in.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/28  at  11:04 AM
  5. Quote - "None of this is to say that individuals and religious groups ought not aid the poor, elderly, and disabled. "

There is something about that quote that makes me uncomfortable. The source of it is where I find the discomfort. I read it as saying, with the help of all the stuff I have read here, that wealthy and well-to-do individuals should help the poor and the needy but don't give them any ideas that they will be helped out of their impoverished state. In other word, help the poor but keep them in there place, don't enfranchise them or educate them so they can get ahead. This is what I hear coming from the mouths of traditionalists and conservatives, who generally pay lip service and gloss these things over.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/28  at  11:48 AM
  6. There are those two E words: enfranchise and entitlement.
    Who What When Why was anyone in this world due either one of these?
    No one was ever put on this earth to be "entitled and enfranchised". I am on this earth to do the best I can at whatever I am doing, provided with, challenged with, can attain with my own two hands and my brain. As are most Americans.
    Those who can't attain as I have stated (when did profit and hard work become dirty words by the way?) are the ones I freely give to with: money, work, hands on assistance, time and anything else I can give within my power.
    I am very tired of those who would legislate my every behavior and mandate all the rest of it.
    I am disgusted with all politics today. I am disgusted with all politicians today. I am disgusted with those who have made our country's leadership a career money making choice on the backs of Americans- and not PRODUCING a damn thing anymore. Just more fat bureaucracies...for entitlements and enfranchising ....for somebody, anybody to keep those $$$ rolling in.
    I thank you for "listening".
    Capri
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/28  at  09:41 PM
  7. Well said....a good lesson from Coummunism
    The proper role of govenment is to protect EQUAL RIGHTS not EQUAL THINGS!!
    When the Communists seized power in Hungary the people were delighted with "justice" of having the large farms confiscated from their owners and given to the peasants. Later those same communists leaders took it back to set up govenment communal farms.
    Then the people howled about property "RIGHTS"
    those who protested too loudly or too long soon found that they not only lost their land but also their LIBERTY and if they continued to protest they lost their lives.
    Thank goodness the founders took the right approach and protected Equal rights which protects the Freedom to prosper....then, like today we have those that cry fowel and say "the people will become very rich" I think the founders might have responded "the more the better"
    utopian schemes are unconstitutional and the founding fathers had great concerns for the poor and the needy and just like one person said...there is nothing wrong with churchs and organizations helping the poor...in fact God commands us to do just that.
    I also believe the founders recognized that it is a mandate of God to help the poor and underprivileged. They even provided a formula how it should be done.
    Franklin understood the problem very well and that is why he wrote a whole essay on the subject.
    His views on counter-productive compassion is summarized like this:
    Compassion which gives a drunk the means to increase his drunkenness is counter-productive.
    Compassion which breeds debilitationg dependency and weakness is counter productive.
    Compassion which blunts the desire or necessity to work for a living is counter-productive.
    One more thought....NO constitutional authority exists for the federal govenment to participate in charity or welfare.
    Grandma of 30, now thats productive!!
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/29  at  07:14 PM
  8. Capri Lione,

Your also are assuming things. And you accuse me of assuming things?

I assume and believe people should be enfranchised when they can. You assumed that I said people deserve entitlements. I did not use the term entitlement. You assume that you were put "on this earth to do the best I can at whatever I am doing, provided with, challenged with, can attain with my own two hands and my brain". What makes you think you were put on this earth for that?
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/30  at  11:16 AM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.