The View From 1776

Double Standard at the New York Times

Times Preens Over Publishing Stolen Cables, But Was Snooty Over Swiped Climate-Gate Email

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/30 at 05:48 PM
  1. The so-called Climate-Gate Emails were, in fact, widely published, but because they were basically correspondence between scientists about arcane data details, they held little public interest - except in so far as the Climate Change Deniers could imply that they constituted some kind of malfeasance.

    After analysis by many parties, the East Anglia correspondence has been judged to be without significance by the legitimate scientific community.

    It is interesting to note that this week more data has been published predicting that there will be between a three and five foot rise in the sea level in the next 50 years. Such a rise would devastate Miami and other coastal cities in this country.

    It would seem to be prudent to begin planning for this event, even if the cause of the rise cannot be agreed upon.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/01  at  04:53 PM
  2. Yet, Russia is predicting the coldest winter in 500 years and we may have similar problems. The Southern hemisphere has also been having colder weather in many places.

    Yes, we are in a thousands of years warming trend and it won't stop but, we can have decades of colder weather in that overall trend. The Pacific has entered its decadal oscillation which is called the "cool mode" and usually lasts for about 30 years. The Atlantic may be entering its own mult-decade oscillation that will cool Europe.

    http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_daily_extent_hires.png

    As we can see by that satellite view of the ice cap, things are normal in the "pole" region while south of Greenland we see we are still below normal. The coming months will be very interesting as changes in the jet stream due to the Pacific Cool Mode alter moisture and temperature patterns. Areas that were normally very cold could see warmer weather while warm areas may get below normal temperatures.

    Sun spots are also an important factor going forward.

    http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/Zurich_Color_Small.jpg

    This last sunspot minimum lingered on like the one in the late 1800's and early 1900's. If we start at trend like then, it will be colder and change a lot of forecasts even thought the overall long term thousands of years trend will remain in place.

    Man contributes .23% of greenhouse gases so even if it is a tipping point, nature can easily override this for quite a while.

    Man must do all he can to clean up his environment but, due to emerging market nations that won't happen as they more that emit what any other nation doesn't and they too, for the most part, aren't emitting less, just buying credits to emit the same or close to it.

    Regarding the rise in sea levels, not necessarily as the sea bed is like a balloon, just as is all the earth crust. Some scientists are beginning to look at this in a new light. The added water weight could cause the sea bed to sink rather than let the sea level rise. This would cause the 75% of the earth to push in and the other 25% to push up. If this does happen, we would experience more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Teutonic plate movement could also accelerate.

    However, as Mr. Jay points out, there is also the risk of rising sea levels. Nations have to have plans for both rising sea levels and tremendous cold caused by increased volcanic activity. Cities near volcanoes, like Seattle would need to have exit plans in case the volcanoes around that city start to become active.

    While man can slow or accelerate a trend, he can't control it. He can't stop volcanoes or rising sea levels or sinking sea beds. He can't stop the normal oscillations of the oceans or the rate of sunspots. Man will always be at the mercy of natural laws and the cycles that are caused by the forces those laws deal with.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/05  at  12:16 PM
  3. I should add on the ice cap that when I say normal for coverage in the "pole" region it doesn't consider "thickness" of the coverage.
    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/05  at  12:18 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.